Basser External Research Grant Program
The Basser Research Center for BRCA at Penn Medicine's Abramson Cancer Center announces the Basser External Research Grant Program, which focuses on projects that have the potential to advance the care of individuals living with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations. Research grant applications in basic science, early detection, translational or clinical research and relevant to the study of BRCA1/2 will be considered.
Grants that demonstrate a potential for translation into clinical practice will be prioritized for funding.
- Basser Team Science Award. A $1 million, two-year ($500,000/yr), project will be awarded. The teams must have a minimum of two principal investigators and preference will be given to multi-institutional applications. Quarterly updates will be required and an annual progress report will determine second year of funding realization. A three month notice of termination will be given if lack of progress is demonstrated. Awards are eligible for competitive renewal after year 2.
- Basser Innovation Award. Three $100,000, one-year, high-risk idea projects will be awarded. Quarterly updates and a final, annual report will be required. A three month notice of termination will be given if lack of progress is demonstrated. Awards are eligible for competitive renewal.
A mandatory letter of intent (LOI) is due by Monday, January 6, 2014.
Include the following information in the online submission form:
- PI name, degree(s), position, affiliated institution, email address, and phone number
- Title of proposed project
- Indication of type of research. Select one of the following:
- Basic Science/Laboratory Research (e.g., cell culture, animal models)
- Early Detection (e.g., biomarkers or imaging)
- Translational Research (e.g., basic to clinical, clinical to community)
- Clinical Research (e.g., clinical prevention or therapeutic trials)
- Indication of funding level (either Basser Team Science Award or Basser Innovation Award)
- Brief paragraph that describes the proposed project; for Basser Team Science Awards, include Co-PI name and contact information
THE DEADLINE FOR FULL APPLICATIONS IS 5:00PM EST ON TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2014.
Principal Investigator Eligibility:
- All full-time faculty are eligible to apply to the Basser External Research Grant Program. The proposed research cannot be funded through an existing or prior peer-reviewed national research grant (e.g., NIH, ACS, DOD or other equivalent funding sources).
- Non-faculty (e.g., residents, fellows) are not eligible.
- International applications are welcomed.
Full Submission Guidelines:
- The application process will use the Basser Center for BRCA/Abramson Cancer Center Transmittal and Application Forms (located at the bottom of this announcement). Completed applications must include both documents in this order:
- Transmittal Form (note that the signatures of the investigator and the respective Department Chair are the only ones required)
- Application Form
- Only one research application will be accepted per investigator.
- Applications must be uploaded electronically as one single PDF file to the following website: http://www.penncancer.org/grants/grant-application.cfm
- Formatting requirements: Arial 11 font, single spaced, no less than ½ inch margins all around.
- Application Forms must include:
- Biographical Sketch, not to exceed two pages, including current and pending support, for all Key Personnel
- Specific Aims, not to exceed one page
- Research Plan*
- Budget with Budget Justification
- Facilities/Resources, not to exceed one page
- Data Sharing Plan
*Note: Significance, Background and Research Plan must not exceed ten total pages for the Basser Team Science Award and five total pages for the Basser Innovation Award.
- Page numbering is recommended, and should use sequential numbers, e.g., do not use 2a and 2b, etc.
- Supplementary, or appendix, material is limited to letters of support/collaboration and PDFs of papers in press and not yet publically available. Any other supplementary material will be discarded.
Preparation of Budgets:
Allowable expenditures include:
- Salary support for investigator
- Research supplies and animal maintenance
- Technical assistance
- Travel when necessary to carry out the proposed research program ($10,000 cap per year for Basser Team Science Awards and $5,000 cap per year for Basser Innovation Awards; exceptions will only be granted through prior approval of the Abramson Cancer Center)
- Publication costs, including reprints
- Costs of computer time
- Special fees (pathology, photography, etc.)
- Equipment costing less than $5,000. Special justification is necessary for items exceeding this amount, and permission must be obtained from the Abramson Cancer Center for the purchase of such equipment
- Registration fees at scientific meetings
- Technician/laboratory personnel support
Non-allowable expenditures include:
- Secretarial/administrative personnel
- Honoraria and travel expenses for visiting lecturers
- Per diem charges for hospital beds
- Non-medical services to patients
- Construction or building maintenance
- Major alterations
- Purchasing and binding of periodicals and books
- Office and laboratory furniture
- Office equipment and supplies
- Rental of office or laboratory space
- Recruiting and relocation expenses
- Dues and membership fees in scientific societies
Review and Notification:
All applications will be reviewed by an External Review Committee and successful applicants will be announced in July, 2014. Funding will have a start date of September 1, 2014.
Administration of Awards:
- Awards will be administered through the Abramson Cancer Center of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Total award amounts listed above may include up to 10% indirect costs.
- Grant contract agreements will require sharing of any income resulting from the licensing of any invention(s) resulting from the work supported by these grants. The sharing of income will be proportional to the level of financial support provided by the Basser Center to the work that resulted in the licensed invention(s), and any income received will be re-invested in the Basser Center and related cancer research at Penn.
Transmittal Forms are available here. [Word Document]
Application Forms are available here. [Word Document]
Link to full online submission form: www.penncancer.org/grants/grant-application.cfm
For questions relating to this RFA, please contact:
Associate Director for Research Administration
Abramson Cancer Center
University of Pennsylvania