Cancer Rehabilitation Program
The Penn Difference
Innovative Research... Advanced Medicine... Service Excellence
- Nationally recognized experts with extensive experience in rehabilitation
- Partnership with Good Shepherd Penn Partners for physical, occupational and speech therapy services
- Advanced treatments and technologies
- Coordinated care throughout the experience
- Support services and education programs
- A reputation for sensitivity and responsiveness
- Personalized attention
- Innovative clinical trials
- The backing of a major research program with immediate translation to patient care
What sets Penn's Cancer Rehabilitation Program apart?
The cancer rehabilitation team at the Abramson Cancer Center brings together cancer rehabilitation physicians, physical, occupational and speech therapists who are actively involved in leading-edge research, providing you with the added comfort of knowing that you will receive the latest treatments available anywhere.
Penn's program is distinguished in a number of ways, including:
- Groundbreaking clinical research on exercise in patients with lymphedema
- Clinical research to help determine the best materials and manner in which to provide care for patients with lymphedema.
- The Lymphedema Treatment Program at Good Shepherd Penn Partners is one of the largest programs in the country.
- In 1999, the program was established in collaboration with the Director of Cancer Rehabilitation from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Our therapists are all Certified Lymphedema Therapists (CLT) who have attended programs recognized as the most advanced training available and many of our therapists have further certification through the Lymphology Association of North America (LANA).
- Our therapists teach and lecture in national and international forums.
- Treatment is provided on an outpatient basis in most of our eight satellite clinics throughout southeastern PA and South Jersey.
- Our Physicians and Therapists provide academic and clinical instruction to Physical Therapists at multiple institutions and medical students, residents and fellows at the University of Pennsylvania.
- We work with you during each stage of your care: our therapists are in the acute care, long term acute care, inpatient rehabilitation, skilled nursing, home care and outpatient locations.
- Our therapists are important participants in the multidisciplinary bone marrow transplant team.
- Our physical therapy department includes board certified clinical specialists in acute care, geriatrics, women's health, neurologic disorders, orthopaedics and sports.
- Our physical therapists have created a 6 week exercise-based program to help combat the symptoms of cancer related fatigue.